It’s astonishing that one writer can produce such excellent prose in different dialects. I thought Sebastian Barry was top-notch, writing stories of Ireland with wonderful Irish rhythm on each page. And then I discovered ‘A Thousand Moons’. I hadn’t realized this was the second book in a series, so I missed reading the first book ‘Days Without End’. I’ll get on that right away.


I was a pleasantly surprised how he tells the story in a deep-south US dialect of the 18th century. Ireland comes to America and he effortlessly carries the story in his new natural melodic writing voice. You hardly know you are reading a story, it’s more like being audience to a marvelous symphony. Sebastian Barry’s prose will leave you humming.

My other favorite Sebastian Barry books:

The Secret Scripture

The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty

The Temporary Gentleman.

Tell me your favorites.


Brother Broken

Comments

Popular posts from this blog